Melissa Martorella joined Geraci Law Firm as an Associate Attorney in the Banking and Finance section in August 2015. Ms. Martorella’s experience includes representing lenders and brokers, preparing commercial, residential, and construction loan documents, as well as drafting assignments, extensions, modifications, and subordination agreements. Ms. Martorella also has experience assisting with negotiating the terms of transactions, drafting custom language, and closing loans. Ms. Martorella has prepared loan documents for transactions all over the country and ensures compliance with state-specific laws.
Melissa is a 2015 graduate of the University of California, Irvine School of Law. While in law school, Melissa was a Lead Article Editor and later a Senior Research Editor for the UCI Law Review. She also participated in the Community and Economic Development Clinic as a team leader on a major complex litigation case. As a second year, she was a Research Assistant to Dean Erwin Chemerinsky, and later interned at the United States Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of California. Finally, she was involved with the UCI Law Mentorship and Pre-Law Outreach Programs, where she mentored incoming law students and reviewed personal statements for potential law school applicants.
Prior to law school, Melissa obtained her Bachelor of Arts in Hispanic Studies and History from Boston College in 2010. In 2011, she graduated from Tufts University with a Master of Arts in Teaching with a focus in Spanish Secondary Education. In her free time, Melissa enjoys watching college sports and attending networking events.
Books currently reading
For work, I’m currently reading The Productivity Project by Chris Bailey. For fun, I’m currently reading Drown by Junot Diaz and The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins.
Word that best describes you
Relax when not working
Watching sports – in particular college football (let’s go BC Eagles!) and the NFL (let’s go Patriots!). I also have a dog that I love spending time with outside.
“People find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right.” – Harry Potter (anything from that series, really) “The first method for estimating the intelligence of a ruler is to look at the men he has around him.” – Niccolo Machiavelli
What was it about the legal field that drew your interest?
I love the idea of helping people, in whatever way they need. I am a people-pleaser, and it makes me happy to think that I can make someone’s day easier by helping out with their legal issues.
What are you most proud of at Geraci?
I am proud of the trust and respect we have for each other here. It allows even the newest team member to have autonomy in what they do in order to accomplish our goals.
What wisdom could you offer aspiring attorneys?
Be yourself, don’t be afraid to ask questions, and find a mentor you can trust.
What’s it like working at Geraci?
Every day here brings a new and exciting challenge. I work with amazing teammates whose personalities make me excited to be at work every day. It’s fast-paced and busy, but there’s always time for a joke to break the tension and stress of a long day.
What was it that drew you to Geraci?
We embody the idea of being “unfirm” – that is, we are unique and embrace the uniqueness of our team members. I think this uniqueness allows us to reach out to our clients and problem solve in ways that are innovative and tailored to our clients’ needs. We can always find a solution when we have team members that are able to be creative with their approaches to the client relationship, as well as with each other.
- Tappable Homeowner Equity Hits Record High
- Cross collateralization and cross-default provisions
- Current Florida bill aims to remove the long-standing business purpose exception from mortgage lender licensing.
- Mortgage Origination Rebound on Increase of Purchase Activity
- Homeowners Sitting on Record Equity
- Mortgage Originations Slow as Consumer Debt Climbs
- What You Need to Ensure Your Loans Close on Time
- New Guidelines for Third-Party Lending Proposed by FDIC
- Latest MBA Survey Shows Increase in Mortgage Applications
- High-Risk Brokers Face Tougher FINRA Rules
- JPMorgan Traders Finance Development Amidst Real Estate Sector Concerns
- How is Mortgage Capital Created
- Compliance Tips When Making Loans to Foreign Investors
- How Commercial Construction Loans Are Structured
- Three Concepts to Understand When Engaging in Luxury House Flipping
- Perfecting Security Interests in Partnerships and LLCs