Melissa Martorella is a Supervising Attorney and Department Head of Geraci LLP’s Banking and Finance practice group. Ms. Martorella manages a large team of attorneys and loan processors in the preparation of loan documents and related transactional documents. Her practice primarily revolves around the representation of nationwide mortgage professionals and providing for their transactional documentation needs. She also provides the compliance advice necessary to navigate mortgage lending transactions in all fifty states. Ms. Martorella also leads the firm’s non-judicial foreclosure practice and advises clients on all default related matters.
Ms. Martorella has been recognized by her peers in the legal community as a Super Lawyers® Rising Star from 2018-2020. Only 2.5% of attorneys receive this distinction.
Books currently reading
For work, I’m currently reading The Productivity Project by Chris Bailey. For fun, I’m currently reading Drown by Junot Diaz and The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins.
Word that best describes you
Relax when not working
Watching sports – in particular college football (let’s go BC Eagles!) and the NFL (let’s go Patriots!). I also have a dog that I love spending time with outside.
“People find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right.” – Harry Potter (anything from that series, really) “The first method for estimating the intelligence of a ruler is to look at the men he has around him.” – Niccolo Machiavelli
What was it about the legal field that drew your interest?
I love the idea of helping people, in whatever way they need. I am a people-pleaser, and it makes me happy to think that I can make someone’s day easier by helping out with their legal issues.
What are you most proud of at Geraci?
I am proud of the trust and respect we have for each other here. It allows even the newest team member to have autonomy in what they do in order to accomplish our goals.
What wisdom could you offer aspiring attorneys?
Be yourself, don’t be afraid to ask questions, and find a mentor you can trust.
What’s it like working at Geraci?
Every day here brings a new and exciting challenge. I work with amazing teammates whose personalities make me excited to be at work every day. It’s fast-paced and busy, but there’s always time for a joke to break the tension and stress of a long day.
What was it that drew you to Geraci?
We embody the idea of being “unfirm” – that is, we are unique and embrace the uniqueness of our team members. I think this uniqueness allows us to reach out to our clients and problem solve in ways that are innovative and tailored to our clients’ needs. We can always find a solution when we have team members that are able to be creative with their approaches to the client relationship, as well as with each other.
- University of California, Irvine, 2015 (J.D.)
- Tufts University, 2011 (M.A.T., Spanish Language Teacher Education)
- Boston College, 2010 (B.A., Hispanic and Latin American Languages, Literatures, and Linguistics)
Selected to 2020 Southern California Super Lawyers Rising Stars list in:
- Commercial Loan Basics: What Small Business Owners Need to Know When Seeking Alternative Financing
- Market Update: Status of Residential Bridge Loans
- Understanding Deeds of Trust and Their Benefits
- Trademarks: The Basics
- California Judiciary’s Handling of Contractually Agreed-Upon Force Majeure Clauses
- Understanding the California Nonjudicial Foreclosure Process
- Understanding Forbearances
- [COVID-19] 5 Terms to Include in Your Servicing Agreement with Lenders If You Are Brokering Loans
- [COVID-19] California Foreclosures 101 – Strategies for Defaulted Loans
- [COVID-19] Forbearance Agreements 101 – What to Do When Your Borrower Can’t Pay
- [COVID-19] Managing Loan Defaults During the COVID-19 Crisis
- [COVID-19] Owner Occupied Business Purpose Loans: An Opportunity to Help Small Businesses during the COVID-19 Crisis
- Unconscionability and Usury: Where Do You Draw the Line?
- CFPB Issues Final Rule Loosening HMDA Requirements
- Records Retention Advice for California Real Estate Professionals
- Clarifying California’s Complex Usury Laws
- Current Florida Bill Aims to Remove the Long-Standing Business Purpose Exception from Mortgage Lender Licensing.
- Mortgage Origination Rebound on Increase of Purchase Activity
- Homeowners Sitting on Record Equity
- Mortgage Originations Slow as Consumer Debt Climbs
- What You Need to Ensure Your Loans Close on Time
- New Guidelines for Third-Party Lending Proposed by FDIC
- Latest MBA Survey Shows Increase in Mortgage Applications
- High-Risk Brokers Face Tougher FINRA Rules
- JPMorgan Traders Finance Development Amidst Real Estate Sector Concerns
- How is Mortgage Capital Created
- Compliance Tips When Making Loans to Foreign Investors
- How Commercial Construction Loans Are Structured
- Three Concepts to Understand When Engaging in Luxury House Flipping
- Perfecting Security Interests in Partnerships and LLCs