Nema Daghbandan is a Partner with Geraci LLP. His practice encompasses all facets of real estate transactions, primarily representing lenders, brokers, and loan servicers. His practice revolves around the preparation of documents and providing compliance advice to mortgage professionals related to nationwide commercial, residential, construction, and multi-family loan transactions. He also provides advice on documentation related to loan transactions, including servicing agreements, spread agreements, secondary market documents, leases, lien releases, procurement agreements, intercreditor agreements, and subordination agreements. Mr. Daghbandan also possesses a deep expertise in loss mitigation and advises mortgage professionals in the management of defaulted loans and the remedies available to creditors.
Mr. Daghbandan has been recognized by his peers in the legal community as a Super Lawyers® Rising Star from 2016-2020. Only 2.5% of attorneys receive this distinction. He also received a perfect 10/10 rating from attorney review site AVVO®.
My honeymoon. We travelled the Mediterranean and it was wonderful.
Books currently reading
My Bible, The Empowerment Dynamic, Good to Great, Exponential Organizations. I love to read.
Word that best describes you
I love cars. I inherited it from my uncle.
Big Lebowski, Office Space, Old School.
When not working
Spending quality time with my amazing wife and two wonderful kids.
What was it about the legal field that drew your interest?
I respected the fact that legal knowledge would allow me to prevent others from being marginalized. Being able to help a client in distress is highly fulfilling.
What are you most proud of at Geraci?
I work with a team of people who always do what’s right even if it’s not what’s profitable at the moment.
What banking law or regulation would you like to see changed?
Where do I start? When I advise clients on all the aspects of law they must comply with I can understand how overwhelming the task is. In California alone, you have to worry about the Financial Code, Civil Code, Code of Civil Procedure, and Business and Professions Code to make a loan. Then you have to worry about a whole separate set of federal laws which may completely contradict the state laws. No wonder why clients want to throw up their hands.
If you could go back and change any aspect of your life, which would it be?
I wish I would have given my parents less grief. I know that karma will eventually have its way.
What wisdom could you offer aspiring attorneys?
Love what you do. It’s cliché, but true. The practice of law is tough; it’s long hours, highly stressful situations, and intense demands. If you don’t love the area you practice in, you are going to be miserable and it will show in your performance.
Tell us about one of your favorite clients and why you enjoy working with them?
I love to laugh. I’m fortunate to work with a lot of very funny clients and the situations we run into together can create some very funny moments.
Who has had the most impact on your career?
Anthony Geraci. He was the first person I worked for back as a first-year law student. He’s grown to be a mentor, friend, and now partner.
Who is or was the most influential person in your life?
What’s the toughest business decision you’ve ever made?
We are in the business of making tough decisions. Our decisions can have multimillion dollar consequences and are never taken lightly.
What is your proudest achievement?
There really isn’t a personal achievement that I can identify. Watching the success of our clients brings a tremendous amount of personal satisfaction and joy for me.
What’s it like working at Geraci?
Imagine a stuffy traditional law firm and reverse everything. It’s a great environment where everyone is creative, energetic, and hardworking. The comradery is fantastic and I go to work energized.
What was it that drew you to Geraci?
I needed a job as a clerk my first summer in law school. My older brother was playing a game of poker with Anthony and others and brought up the fact that I was looking for work. Anthony gave me a shot and 10 years later, the rest is history.
What can we learn from the past in our business?
Markets are cyclical. As an expert in real estate I try to be as cautious as possible in my approach to all situations.
- Supreme Court of California
- U.S. District Court Central District of California
- U.S. District Court Southern District of California
- U.S. District Court Northern District of California
- University of Miami School Law, Miami, Florida
- Honors: magna cum laude
- Honors: Lillian R. Levi Award for Excellence
- Honors: Most Outstanding Third Year Student
- Honors: Book Awards in Immigration, Legal Research and Writing and the Center for Ethics and Professional Responsibility Program
- Law Review: University of Miami Inter-American Law Review, Managing Editor
- University of California, Irvine, California
- B.A., Bachelor of Arts
- Major: Political Science
Associations & Memberships
- American Association of Private Lenders, Member, Ethics Advisory Committee
- California Bar Association
- California Mortgage Association
- California Mortgage Bankers Association, Future Leader
- Mortgage Bankers Association
- Urban Land Institute
- United Trustee’s Association
Selected to 2020 Southern California Super Lawyers Rising Stars list in:
- Norris Group Real Estate Podcast – June 2020 – AB2501 & AB828 – What Lenders Need to Know
- California Mortgage Association Webinar – May 2020 – More Than One Investor On the Note? | Legal and Practical Advice on How to Fractionalize Notes in California Under Your DRE License (presented with Fidelity Mortgage Lenders and Standard Mortgage Financial Services)
- ProLaw Continuing Legal Education – April 2020 – Federal Private Lending Compliance and Loan Documentation
- Geraci Webinar – April 2020 – Forbearance Agreements 101: What to Do When Your Borrower Can’t Pay
- Geraci Webinar – April 2020 – California Foreclosures 101: Strategies for Defaulted Loans
- Geraci Webinar – March 2020 – Managing Loan Defaults During the COVID-19 Crisis
- CU Business Group Webinar – March 2020 – California Consumer Protection Act – What You Need to Know
- American Association of Private Lenders Webinar – April 2020 – Best Practices Related to Payment Defaults Related to COVID 19
- American Association of Private Lenders Webinar – April 2020 – Emergency Meeting – State of the Private Lending Market
- Geraci Webinar – March 2020 – COVID 19 Opportunity: Making Owner Occupied Business Purpose Loans
- Innovate Conference – February 2020 – The Billion Dollar Club: How to Run a Billion Dollar Lending Business
- California Mortgage Association – February 2020 – Forms and Documents Roundtable – Tenant and Lien Subordinations – Key considerations for Mortgage Lenders
- Norris Group Real Estate Podcast – November 2019 – New York Senate Bill S3060E
- American Association of Private Lenders – November 2019 – 2019: The Year of the Correspondent
- American Association of Private Lenders – November 2019 – Automation in Business, a Fireside Chat
- Captivate – August 2019 – The Great Debate: Trust Deed vs. Mortgage Fund
- CU Business Group – August 2019 – The Nine Things Every Credit Union Needs to Know When Making Commercial Loans
- California Mortgage Association – August 2019 – Save the Loan | Protect the Investor | Workout, Modification and Forbearance Agreements
- CU Business Group and Geraci LLP Webinar – July 2019 – Navigating Tenant Issues: What Every Lender Needs to Know Before Making a Loan to a Borrower With Tenants
- Geraci Webinar – May 2019 – What Your Attorney Didn’t Tell You: Consumer Laws that Apply to Business Purpose Loans
- California Mortgage Association – April 2019 – Legal & Regulatory Update – CA Per Diem Interest Rules, Senior/Subordinate Foreclosure Cases, SB 1235
- California Mortgage Association – April 2019 – Broker Roundtable
- Fund Manager Forum – February 2019 – Hyper Scaling | How Some Mortgage Funds Go From Zero to Hundreds of Millions in a Few Years
- Fund Manager Forum – February 2019 – How To Build a Mortgage Fund and Source National Deals
- California Mortgage Association – February 2019 – Modifications, Extensions and Deeds in Lieu, What Every Lender Needs to Know
- Innovate Conference – January 2019 – Self Storage – Developers and Lenders Explain How to Make Big Money This Unknown Asset Class
- American Association of Private Lenders National Conference – November 2018 (Keynote Speaker – Bulletproof: How to Beat Your Competition in 2019)
- California Mortgage Association – October 2018 – Legislative Update – Cannabis and Referral Fees
- Crittenden National Conference – September 2018 (Moderating – Private Lending in the Face of Increased Regulation)
- CU Business Group National Conference – August 2018 (Making Safe and Sound Blanket Loans – What Every Credit Union Should Know)
- Think Realty Radio Podcast – July 2018 (Growing Your Business)
- Geraci Webinar – July 2018 (Government-Required Seismic Retrofit Programs – What you need to know as a lender, co-hosted with Logix Credit Union)
- Activate Conference – May 2018 (Panelist – How to Raise Capital From Trust Deed Investors, Nationwide; Panelist – Borrower and Broker Disclosures for Dummies)
- Crittenden National Conference – April 2018 (Moderating – Private Lending Filling in the Gap)
- California Mortgage Association – April 2018 (Panelist – Asset Management and Loan Monitoring)
- Innovate Conference – February 2018 (Moderated 2 panels: Managing Exponential Growth; and Plan the Take out Now)
- Closed $25,000,000 loan facility with mezzanine components, repackaging three credit facilities including international collateral and interstate collateral.
- Closed $1,562,500 loan secured by condominium in New York.
- Closed $2,325,000 commercial construction loan in Saginaw, Michigan.
- Closed $4,800,000 commercial construction loan in St. Charles, Missouri.
- Closed $8,750,000 commercial loan in Salt Lake City, Utah.
- Closed $5,500,000 loan secured by five condominiums in New York.
- Closed $950,000 loan secured by residential property in Dagsboro, Delaware.
- Closed $2,187,000 commercial loan which included BP oil spill rights in Panama City, Florida.
- Closed $1,000,000 line of credit secured by property in Chicago, Illinois.
- Closed $960,000 loan secured by 25 residential properties in Columbus, Ohio.
- Closed $1,755,000 loan secured by commercial property in Albany, Georgia.
- Closed $3,600,000 loan secured by residential properties in Providence, Rhode Island.
- Closed $800,000 construction loan secured by residential property in Kona, Hawaii.
- Closed $5,818,585 purchase, lease-back with option to re-purchase residential property in Beverly Hills, California. Subsequently facilitated the re-purchase by tenant.
- Closed $3,350,000 purchase, lease-back with option to re-purchase music studio in Los Angeles.
- Closed $3,600,000 heavily negotiated note purchase of 3 Commercial cross-collateralized loans in Idaho from an institutional seller in 4 days.
- Facilitated closings in Connecticut, Illinois, Massachusetts, Nevada, Ohio, Texas, Virginia, and Washington under a secured line of credit.
- Assisted in numerous Private Placement Memorandum offerings under Rule 506(b) and Rule 506(c).
- Federal Government Imposes National Eviction Moratorium Through the Remainder of 2020 – What You Need to Know
- California Passes AB 3088 – The Tenant, Homeowner, and Small Landlord Relief and Stabilization Act of 2020
- [COVID-19] Accounting Implications of Loan Defaults
- [COVID-19] California Legislature Sets Its Sights on Mortgage Lenders
- [COVID-19] California Foreclosures 101 – Strategies for Defaulted Loans
- [COVID-19] Loan Forbearance Requests Continue on a Dramatic Incline
- [COVID-19] Forbearance Agreements 101 – What to Do When Your Borrower Can’t Pay
- [COVID-19] Fed Pumps More Cash Into The System – This Time, Private Debt is Included
- [COVID-19] Requests for Mortgage Forbearances Explode in March – Impact on Commercial Lenders
- [COVID-19] Fed Massively Purchasing Mortgage Backed Securities and Driving Down Interest Rates
- [COVID-19] States Begin Permitting Remote Notarization in Response to COVID-19
- [COVID-19] Federal Reserve Takes Proactive Approach to Blunt Economic Impact of COVID-19 – What Private Lenders Need to Know
- [COVID-19] Managing Loan Defaults During the COVID-19 Crisis
- [COVID-19] Owner Occupied Business Purpose Loans: An Opportunity to Help Small Businesses during the COVID-19 Crisis
- CCPA Is Here – What Lenders Need to Know Now
- Stop Freaking Out! California’s One-Action Rule Is Not As Scary As You Think
- The Difference Between an ALTA and CLTA Title Insurance Policy in California
- Tappable Homeowner Equity Hits Record High
- Current Florida Bill Aims to Remove the Long-Standing Business Purpose Exception from Mortgage Lender Licensing.
- California Requiring Disclosures for Business Purpose Loans
- Self-Storage Is an Investment Alternative
- House Votes to Make Significant Changes to Dodd-Frank
- Blockchain Technology is Revamping the Indian Banking Industry
- SEC Investigated Prematurely Soured Debt
- Reforms to FIRPTA Affecting Real Estate Investment Opportunities
- 546(e) Safe Harbor Protection Expanded by Second Circuit
- CFL or BRE Licensing Positives and Negatives
- Don’t Let Title Issues Delay Your Funding
- Republican House Puts Forward Bill to Overturn Fiduciary Rule
- California’s Foreclosure Numbers Dip Below National Average
- How to use Private Money and Other Options to Buy Investment Property
- Five Tips for Financing Investment Properties
- Foreclosure Rate the Lowest in a Decade
- Banks Killing Zombie Foreclosures
- Exploring the Intricacies of a Commercial Construction Loan
- Steady, Slight Economic Growth Expected in 2017, Projects MBA