Kevin S. Kim, Esq.
Corporate and Securities
FORBES BUSINESS COUNCIL
Kevin Kim leads Geraci LLP’s corporate & securities practice. His expertise lies in fund formation, private placements, and other securities offerings for private lenders, real estate developers and investors of all sizes. Kevin and his team have advised and prepared hundreds of securities offerings including mortgage funds, structured debt offerings, real estate syndications, crowdfunding offerings, EB-5 projects, and Qualified Opportunity Funds. Kevin passion lies in serving his clients as a pragmatic advisor focusing on real world solutions.
Kevin is also a nationally recognized expert in mortgage fund formation. Kevin is the lead instructor for the American Association of Private Lender’s Certified Fund Manager courses, where he teaches mortgage fund managers throughout the United States on fund management and securities laws.
Awards & Accommodations:
Top 25 Corporate Attorney by EB-5 Investors Magazine
Rising Star Super Lawyer 2019
My honeymoon in Maui.
Books currently reading
The Baby Whisperer.
Relax when not working:
Cooking and Binge Watching TV.
Green Day, Nirvana, Foo Fighters, Mumford and Sons
Cooking, Golf, Being Korean.
The Dark Knight, Ode to My Father, The Rock
One of your favorite memories since being at Geraci:
The public debut of “The Gold Chain” at Clique Lounge at the Cosmopolitan on the 2nd day at Captivate 2017.
If you had one wish
What was it about the legal field that drew your interest?
As hackneyed as it may sound, the ability to help people achieve their goals and advocate their interests really resonated with me throughout my life.
What are you most proud of at Geraci?
Being named Partner at the Law Firm.
What banking law or regulation would you like to see changed?
A clear exemption for commercial purpose finance.
If you could go back and change any aspect of your life, which would it be?
I would have decided to study abroad during college.
What wisdom could you offer aspiring attorneys?
Knowledge of the law will only get you so far. Clinical and professional skills including customer service, being detail oriented, and passionate representation of your clients is what will set you apart from others.
Who has had the most impact on your career?
My mother. She has pushed me my entire life and is still teaching me the importance of passion, the value of hard work, and the importance of humility. These values have been the cornerstones of my career.
What’s the toughest business decision you’ve ever made?
Deciding to go to law school.
What is your proudest achievement?
My daughter Abigail.
What’s it like working at Geraci?
It’s a bit like working in a circus. Everybody is really talented and very good at what they do, but you can’t help but feel a vibe that everybody’s also a bit of a character.
What was it that drew you to Geraci?
Geraci’s company culture and positive, get the job done attitude is something that really attracted me.
What can we learn from the past in our business?
History repeats itself. Especially in business
- U.S. District Court Central District of California
- J.D. Loyola Law School, Los Angeles
- B.A. University of California, Berkeley
Associations & Memberships
- California Mortgage Association
- American Association of Private Lenders
- Korean American Bar Association
- Certified Fund Manager Instructor for American Association of Private Lenders 2015 to Present
- EB-5 Investors Conference Securities Law Panelist 2017 and 2018
- IMN Family Office Forum 2018 – Dana Point
- Partners Capital Solutions
- The Rama Fund
- Thorofare Capital
- A List Partners Management
Online: OZExpo Podcasts
- Incoming Changes to Federal Securities Exemptions Go Live March 15: 6 Updates to Know
- The Great Suburban Migration of 2020 and Its Effect on Private Lenders
- 2021 Private Lending Outlook
- SEC Upgrades Accredited Investor Definition—What Impact Will it Have?
- Private Lending: Issues for Offshore Investors
- Current State of the Market: Capital Markets and SFR for Private Lenders
- Mythbusting: Common Myths Regarding Mortgage REITs for Private Lenders
- Are Opportunity Zones Worth the Hype?
- [COVID-19] Top 5 Dangers for Mortgage Funds During an Economic Crisis
- [COVID-19] Special Issues for Mortgage REITs during COVID-19 Outbreak
- [COVID-19] The Fund Manager’s Proactive Approach
- [COVID-19] Prevent a Run on the Fund: Suspending Redemptions to Preserve Capital
- SubREIT vs. REIT Conversions: A Practical Discussion
- Summary of Changes Affecting Qualified Opportunity Funds
- Compliance Issues Surrounding Redeployment of EB-5 Funds
- New Rulemaking Brings Changes for EB-5 Immigrant Investor Program
- What You Need To Know About Mortgage Funds
- Lenders, Commercial Real Estate Owners, and Investors and the California Cannabis Business
- What You Need to Know to Prevent Mortgage Fraud
- Trending Solutions: Private REITS
- The Dynamex Decision and its Implications for California Lenders Utilizing 1099 Contractors
- Non-Conventional Lenders Flourishing in New Market
- The Top 3 Regulations Non-Conventional Lenders Use to Raise Money
- Low Income Communities get Helping Hand with Opportunity Funds
- Chinese National Sues Over EB5 Visa Denial
- SEC Says Advice Plan Changes Broker Behavior
- Which License Do I Need? CFLL vs BRE
- SEC Cracks Down on ICOs with a Flurry of Subpoenas
- Raising Capital from Self-Directed IRA Investors
- Private Placement Memorandums: A Must-Have When Selling Securities
- SIFMA sees SEC Fiduciary Rule Within Next 18
- SEC’s Standard Fiduciary Rule Hampered by State Laws
- Brokers Moving From Direct Sales to Mortgage Pools
- Chinese EB-5 Investors Helping to Fuel Bay Area Real Estate Boom
- SEC Charges Sister of Convicted Ponzi Schemer
- CFLL Call to Action Release
- Why Mortgage Pools are a Smart Choice for Private Lenders
- Holzhueter Funds Frozen by Federal Judge
- SEC Chairman Looks for Common Ground on Fiduciary Rule
- 2017 BDO RiskFactor Report for REITs Cites Political Uncertainty
- Federal Reserve Increases the Federal Funds Rate
- Developers Turn to Foreign Lending Options as U.S. Banks Await Potential Deregulation
- USCIS Proposes Significant EB-5 Filing Fee Increases
- SEC Freezes Assets of South Florida Woman Named in Alleged EB-5 Fraud Case
- Judgment Sought by EB-5 Applicants Over Alabama Hospital
- Trump’s Impact on EB-5 Investors
- Palm House Project Alleged Fraud Leads to Lawsuit
- Regulation A Revamp Increases Exemption Viability
- Intrastate Crowdfunding Rules Get Green Light From SEC